Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Unity testing

While waiting Camelot Unchained kickstarter to happen I decide to test DAoC terrain in Unity.
Albion@Cotswold area

Terrain heightmap was quite simple to import, but everything else is not simple as Unity does not provide import/export features like CryEngine does with XML import/export.
So, I decide to check C# scripting support and try directly load content from DAoC terrain assets, but hitting my head to the wall because Unity (mono) have limited DLL:s in place and I can't uncompress files directly.
Though there is way to add extra DLL:s, but this goes bit too extreme already to just for testing :) Also noticed that Unity is that it's able to use asynchronous terrain zone loading like DAoC Gamebryo engine, but sadly this is limited to Pro license only.


  1. This looks like a great program.. I don't know much about computers but I'm interested in designing Terrain like this for a game I'm trying to make.

    The first game I designed was much easier.. it was just a game for Scrabble Online

  2. I like your videos - very nicely done!

    If you have the DAOC graphics, please try out my mod to DAOC. The render is not as nice as yours, but I have decoded more of Mythic's internal formats than you have.

  3. Nice job as usual, can't wait to see more updates from your incredible work!